Harrisonburg Community Spirit this Holiday Season
It's the most wonderful time of the year, and Harrisonburg residents are finding more than enough ways to fill their calendars. With the holidays swiftly approaching, it's an excellent time to make memories and spend quality time with your loved ones. Our city makes it simple, and you'll find ample opportunities between now and the end of the year to celebrate. Here are six things to love about Harrisonburg at Christmas.
- Shop Local – Downtown Harrisonburg, VA is a treasure trove of shops. There's nothing like finding one-of-a-kind items or supporting locally-owned businesses while finding the perfect gifts for friends and family. Find ethical, fair-trade clothing at Green Hummingbird, outdoor accessories and gear at Walkabout Outfitter, or the perfect read at Downtown Books. Downtown Harrisonburg is home to over 45 unique shops. When you're done, take a break at one of the incredible eateries that Harrisonburg is known for—after all, the downtown was designated the first culinary district in Virginia.
- Make your Own Gifts – Another way to create lasting memories this holiday season is to make a gift. Harrisonburg has a few places that allow you to put your personal stamp on Christmas. Head to Larkin Arts to design your own wrapping paper (or to give the gift of art classes), or get the creative juices flowing at You Made It. If you prefer making holiday décor, visit the Edith J. Carrier Arboretum for their annual Festive Greens workshop on December 9th.
- Moonlight Carriage Rides – A beloved tradition in December in Harrisonburg is the Moonlight Holiday Carriage Rides. If you aren't able to get a reservation in time, individual walk-up rides may be available the day of. If you can't make it this December, there is always the full moon summer rides, or next year.
- Holiday Cultural Entertainment – It wouldn't be Christmas without carols and dance. Harrisonburg offers many opportunities to enjoy holiday entertainment. Two excellent options are the Rockingham Ballet Theatre's performance of the Nutcracker December 19th and 20th, and the Nothin' Fancy Holiday Show that will delight Bluegrass lovers at the Court Square Theater on the 12th.
- Christmas Tree Adventures – Start a family tradition that will last for years to come. There is nothing like the fresh scent of a recently cut Christmas tree to get you excited about the holidays. Harrisonburg has several tree farms nearby to choose from, and each has its own appeal. Try the Evergreen Tree Farm, The ELF Christmas Tree Farm, or Ostlund Christmas Tree Farm.
- First Night Harrisonburg – The holiday season isn't officially over until after New Year's Eve, and Harrisonburg, VA knows how to celebrate in style. First Night Harrisonburg is an all-inclusive event that brings together the community for live music, art, family-fun, and fireworks. It's one of Harrisonburg's most beloved annual events.
Harrisonburg, VA is a dynamic community that offers residents an ideal location, four beautiful seasons, a wide variety of activities, and a rich lifestyle and culture. The eclectic city is full of year-round opportunities that make it an interesting place to live. You can enjoy the bustle of a thriving downtown, but still get the sense of a close-knit community. Overall, Harrisonburg is an idyllic place to call home for the holidays, and the rest of the year as well.
If you're interested in making Harrisonburg your home, contact us at Old Dominion Realty today. Our knowledgeable team of REALTORS® can help you find your dream home this Christmas.