Voted by Smithsonian Magazine to their 2012 list of The 20 Best Small Towns in America, Staunton, Virginia epitomizes the phrase “back to the future”. Staunton, Virginia’s relocation attraction is its connection with the past: in fact the last two centuries.
Staunton, Virginia was first settled by an Irish immigrant, John Lewis, and his family in 1732. Lewis and his family settled to the Shenandoah Valley, and established their home on the banks of a creek two miles east of present-day Staunton.
Shortly after in 1736, William Beverley, a wealthy planter and merchant from Essex County, convinced Lieutenant Governor William Gooch to grant him over 118,000 acres in what would become Augusta County. William Beverley aptly named the settlement Beverley’s Mill Place.
In 1747 Surveyor Thomas Lewis (John Lewis’s son) laid out the streets and plots for Beverley’s Mills Place re-named Staunton in 1749 in honor of Lady Rebecca Staunton, wife to Lieutenant Governor William Gooch.
Staunton, Virginia has played a major role in United States history - from the early frontier to a center for the Confederate Army, birthplace of Woodrow Wilson, 28th US President, to the home of Stuart Hall, private co-ed preparatory school and the Virginia School for the Deaf and Blind, Staunton remains the Queen City of the Shenandoah Valley.
A 1913 promotional brochure by the Staunton Chamber of Commerce said it best, “There is nothing speculative about Staunton. The best estimate of a city’s future may be made by reference to her past. Staunton has not only a glorious past but a prosperous present and a bright future.”
Old Dominion Realty is proud to bring you homes for sales and real estate properties in Staunton, Virginia. Learn more about Staunton, Virginia by calling one of our Old Dominion Real Estate Professionals 540-943-0085 or email us.